Students receiving one minor in a given department may receive a second minor from the same department provided that the second minor includes at least 12 credit hours of course work not included in the first minor. The University considers Philosophy and Religion; Foreign Languages; and Sociology, Anthropology and Geography are separate departments for the purpose of this policy.
Deficiency credit increases the number of credit hours required for graduation. These credit hours do not apply toward the required minimum degree credit hours. Deficiency credit hours and quality points count in the cumulative GPA
Total Credit Hours
A minimum of 120 credit hours is required for a bachelor's degree. Some degree programs require additional credit hours. Each description of major requirements lists the credit hours required.
Courses taken for graduate credit cannot be applied toward an undergraduate degree.
2. Complete all General Education Requirements as described in the valid Catalog year for the specific major(s). The requirements for General Education are described below.
3. Comply with the state law that one unit of American history at the high school level or 6 credit hours of collegiate work be satisfactorily completed.
American History Requirement
By act of the General Assembly of the State of Tennessee, students who have not had one year of American history in high school must complete six credit hours of American history if they receive an undergraduate degree after July 1, 1978. Three credit hours of this requirement may be satisfied by a university course in Tennessee history.
Credit hours completed at the university level to fulfill high school deficiencies cannot be used to meet specific curriculum requirements and do not count toward the total credit hours required for graduation. Deficiency credit hours add to the total number of required credit hours for graduation.
4. Complete at least 25 percent of the minimum credit hours under the direction of UTC faculty.
5. Complete 60 credit hours at an accredited senior (4-year) institution. Students who have attended a junior or community college must complete at least 60 credit hours at a four year college or university with the last 24 credit hours completed at UTC.
6. Complete the last 24 credit hours at UTC. The last 24 credit hours must be completed at UTC. With prior approval by the Department Head of the student's major department, one course completed at other University of Tennessee campus may be counted as part of the last 24 credit hours.
Non-traditional Credit Limitations
Nontraditional credit will not apply toward the last 24 credit hours of residency. Students who have completed 24 credit hours of traditional course work at UTC and have not yet attempted the last 24 credit hours may petition to apply a maximum of 12 credit hours of these types of credit toward the last 24 credit hours.
Pre-professional and Combined Program Residency Requirements
Students in combined or pre-professional programs must complete the last 24 credit hours of undergraduate study at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga before entering the professional or combined program. Students can only transfer credit hours from the professional program to fulfill the degree; other transfer coursework will require a petition for an exception to the last 24 credit hour residency requirement.
7. Complete at least 39 credit hours at the 300-400 level. Students must complete at least 39 credit hours at the 300-400 level unless otherwise specified by the major.
8. Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours at the 300-400 level in the UTC major department(s) or program(s) offering the degree.
9. Earn a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA unless otherwise specified by the major, and a minimum 2.0 GPA for all course work completed at UTC , and a minimum 2.0 GPA for the major(s) unless otherwise specified.
Students must earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all course work unless otherwise specified by the major. Specifically, the student must achieve a minimum 2.0 GPA for:
- all cumulative course work,
- all credit hours attempted at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, and
- all credit hours attempted in the major discipline unless otherwise specified by the major.
10. Complete senior exit exam(s). Students must participate in evaluative procedures, which may include examinations in general education, the major field of study, or both.
11. File an application for degree with the Records Office. Students are responsible for applying for graduation with the Records Office according to the published deadlines. Students who neglect to file an application by the published deadline must apply for the subsequent graduation ceremony. The applicable deadlines are:
- Spring Graduation Ceremony - October 15
- Summer Graduation Ceremony - March 15
- Fall Graduation Ceremony - June 15