Current UTC students and transfer students may apply to become Associate Scholars if you meet the following criteria:
- You must have completed at least 24 hours of graded college credit with a cumulative college GPA of 3.5 or higher. (Credit given for AP exams doesn't count toward the 24-hour total, since it isn't assigned a grade by UTC and is not computed in your GPA.)
- You must have at least three remaining semesters of undergraduate enrollment in which to complete the required Brock Scholars curriculum. Ideally, students who are already enrolled at UTC should apply in the fall semester of the sophomore year. Transfer students at the sophomore level and above should apply immediately following transfer to UTC.
Application ProcessTo apply to become an Associate Scholar, you should submit the Associate Application Form (pdf file), required essay and faculty recommendations as described on the application form.
All Associate Scholar applicants with complete files will be contacted within two weeks of the relevant deadline. If your application suggests that you would be a good fit for the Brock Scholars Program, we will schedule an interview with one of the UHON administrators. Admission will be granted to the most qualified applicants from each application cycle as space is available.
Associate Scholars do not receive scholarships, but enjoy most of the other benefits afforded Brock Scholars, including:
- Priority registration for classes
- Opportunity to live in the Brock Scholars living/learning community in Lockmiller Apartments
- Intensive personal academic advisement and guidance
- Enhanced library borrowing privileges
- 24-hour access to the Brock Scholars Reading Room and computer lab
- Annual cultural stipend to attend selected symphony, opera, cinema and theatre performances
- Opportunities to travel for academic credit with other Brock Scholars and faculty
- Employment opportunities, including Brock Scholars Student Assistantships with faculty in a variety of academic disciplines
- Program-sponsored social events and special programs throughout the year
Requirements of Membership
After admission to the Brock Scholars Program, Associates must meet the following maintenance standards:
Maintain a 3.5 cumulative GPA
Take at least 6 hours of UHON courses before graduation
Complete a departmental honors thesis during the senior year
- Each fall and spring semester, register for and attend the honors seminar (0 credit hrs.) appropriate to the Associate's class standing
- Participate actively in at least one committee of the Brock Scholars Council
- Abide by all rules and regulations for acceptable student conduct as set forth in the UTC Student Handbook and the Brock Scholars Handbook