Advisors' Council Bylaws
The name of this organization shall be the UTC Advisors’ Council.
The UTC Advisors’ Council provides support to the academic advising community at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and is committed to serving the students at UTC. The organization accomplishes its mission by achieving the following goals:
- Providing quality professional development for advising
- Improving campus communication about issues related to advising
- Providing a forum for discussion of academic issues related to advising, including curriculum, policy, and procedure changes
- Training faculty and new advisors for orientation as well as regular registration advising
- The members of this organization shall be all professional advisors at UTC, the Director of the Center for Advisement, faculty representatives from each college, the President or designee (appointed for one-year) of the Faculty Senate, a representative from the Records Office, a representative from the Career and Student Employment Center, a representative from the Honors College, and a representative from other areas with a vested interest in academic advising as appropriate.
- Invitations to the Advisors’ Council will be offered to new professional advisors.
B. Privileges and Responsibilities of Membership:
- Voting: Each member shall be entitled to one vote and must be present to vote.
- Privileges: Each member shall be entitled to all services of the organization.
- Participation: Each member shall be entitled to participate in all organizational events.
- Responsibilities: Each member shall attend meetings and offer suggestions to improve advising at UTC.
A. The meetings of the membership will be held on the third Wednesday of each month. The Leadership Team Chair may call additional meetings or reschedule the monthly meetings as necessary.
B. Quorum: At all meetings of the organization, a quorum shall consist of a majority of the membership.
A. The UTC Advisors’ Council shall be governed by a Leadership Team comprised of the following elected and appointed officers selected from current membership. Elected positions: Chair, Secretary, Training Coordinator, Assessment Coordinator. Appointed positions: Enrollment Services Liaison and Transfer Advising Liaison.
- The Chair must be a member of the organization for at least two years before being elected as chair.
- The other officers must be current members of the organization with a minimum of one representative from the Center for Advisement.
C. Duties of Officers:
- The Chair shall preside at all meetings and be responsible for scheduling the meeting room, providing agendas for regularly scheduled meetings and training opportunities, oversee the budget, lead assessment efforts for the Council, coordinate subcommittees, help with public relations efforts of the Advisors’ Council, ensure that the Advisement website is updated and appoint mentors for new advisors.
- The Secretary shall take minutes of Advisors’ Council and Leadership meetings,regularly communicate with Advisors’ Council members, post minutes on the Advisors’ Council website, take attendance, contact new advisors on campus and invite them to join the Advisors’ Council, coordinate the Advisors’ Council Blackboard community and assist with other projects as needed.
- The Training Coordinator shall, contact other departments to coordinate professional development opportunities at regularly scheduled meetings, , lead the Training Committee to further develop an advisor training curriculum for professional and faculty advisors, maintain training records, coordinate training offered to professional and faculty advisors primarily outside of the monthly council meetings, and assist with other projects as needed.
- The Assessment Coordinator shall work with the Chair and ESL to coordinate the assessment of advising, oversee the Assessment Committee, collaborate with UTC NSSE and FSSE administrators to generate a more comprehensive assessment report, and assist with other projects as needed.
- Enrollment Services Liaison shall report to/from the Provost Office to the Advisors’ Council. Additionally, this person will assist with assessment efforts and assist with other projects as needed.
- Transfer Advising Liaison shall identify and address best practices and needs necessary to provide successful advising of students transferring to UTC. Additionally, this person will assist with other projects and needed.
D. Terms of Office:
- Nominations for new officers shall be taken at the Advisors’ Council meeting in March. Officers shall be elected annually at the Advisors’ Council meeting held for April/May. Elections shall be by ballot, and a majority of the votes cast shall elect.
- The outgoing Chair shall serve as an ex-officio member of the Leadership Team. Each officer shall take office on May 1 and serve a one-year term.
- The Enrollment Services Liaison and the Transfer Advising Liaison are not elected officers.
E. Vacancies and Removal:
- Resignations: A Leadership Team member may resign from their position at any time, for any reason, by filing a written resignation with the Chair of the Leadership Team. Upon receipt of a written resignation, the Chair may initiate the process of filling the vacancy. A vacancy in the office of the Chair shall be filled by the Secretary unless he or she is unable to serve, at which time the vacancy shall be filled by election of the members by a majority of votes cast.
- Removal: Any member of the Leadership team may be removed or suspended from office
by a vote of two-thirds of the members of the Advisor’s Council at a regular or special
meeting. The person under consideration for removal shall be:
a. provided a written statement of the reason or reasons for removal or suspension and;
b. given the opportunity to be speak before the Leadership Team regarding the reasons for removal or suspension.
- Unresolved: Should the matter not be resolved to the satisfaction of the Leadership
Team, the person under consideration will be:
a. notified at least thirty (30) days prior to bringing the matter before the full membership of the Advisors’ Council at a regular or special meeting and;
b. given the opportunity to be heard by the full Advisor’s Council membership at the regular or special meeting.
- The person under consideration shall not be counted in determining the presence of a quorum where the required two-thirds vote must be obtained for removal or suspension.
- The Chair, subject to the approval of the organization, shall appoint such standing, special, or ad hoc committees as may be required by the bylaws and as the Chair finds necessary. Committee Chairpersons shall be appointed by and responsible to the Chair and Leadership Team, meeting with the Leadership Team as necessary.
- If a vacancy in a Committee Chairperson position occurs, the Leadership Team Chair shall appoint a new chair with input from the outgoing Committee Chairperson.
- Participation on a committee, if standing, is a one year commitment starting in August of each year. Committees will meet approximately once a month, or as needed.
The rules contained in Robert's Rules of Order, Revised, shall govern the organization in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the bylaws or the special rules of order of the Advisors’ Council.
This organization shall abide by all applicable policies instituted by the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
These bylaws may be amended by a vote of two-thirds of the members of the Advisors’ Council at any regular meeting or at a special meeting called for that purpose. The membership shall be notified of adopted bylaw amendments by the most feasible means.