What is the UTC Bridge Program?
- The Bridge Program is your opportunity to get on campus early and start using the resources, meeting the people, taking the initiative and developing the skills to make the most of your college education.
- The Bridge Program offers you the support and guidance while at the same time inspiring you to new and exciting levels of academic achievement, extracurricular involvement, and leadership development.
- UTC’s Bridge Program is one of those opportunities that comes only once. The individual guidance and coordinated support you will receive are unique to the program and can help ensure your early and ongoing college success.
Overview of the Program
Bridge Program consists of programs, activities and services that work together–and with you to put you on the path to college success:
- Advanced credit for English, Math and Freshman Year experience coursework
- Individualized study skills and learning-style assessments
- Academic skills workshops including time management, memory and concentration, how to read a textbook, how to talk to your professors
- Peer Mentoring
- Leadership development
- Introduction to key faculty and staff
- Individualized guidance and support from Financial Aid, Student Advisement Center, Scholarship Office, and more . . .
- Social and networking events including leadership experiences and civic engagement opportunities
- Residential Living-Learning Community
- Develop strong study habits and academic skills
- Begin fulfilling degree requirements
- Increase your likelihood of attaining or maintaining the HOPE Scholarship eligibility
- Learn about a wealth of resources for support and guidance
- Make enduring friendships
Program Selection Process
Invited students must complete a two-step selection process before they can be accepted in to the Summer Bridge program.
- STEP 1: Acceptance to The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga for Fall 2016 (students should have already received letter from the Office of Admissions)
- STEP 2: Email Lee-Pierce@utc.edu to express interest in the program.
- STEP 3: Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2015-2016 and 2016 - 2017 (This should be accomplished as soon as possible. UTC Financial Aid Code is 3529).
- STEP 4: Sign up for Orientation - Participants must register for July 28-29th orientation session.
Success in college takes commitment and engagement–both in the classroom and out–so the Bridge Program asks for your full participation in a range of specific programs and activities:
- Intense On-campus coursework during Summer 2016
- Commitment to enroll in designated Core Curriculum classes in Summer 2016
- Attendance at selected academic and co-curricular events throughout the academic year
- Bridge Program Enrollment Process Deadline: Monday, June 20, 2016
- First Day of Class: Monday, June 27, 2016
- Bridge Program Orientation: Thursday - Friday, July 28-29, 2016
What are the costs?
- Students will be enrolled in 8 credit hours. Tuition and fees for the Summer Semester will amount to $2,867. Financial Aid and Bridge Program grant funds will apply to cover all Summer 2016 tuition and fees costs.
- Living on campus is required during this program. Students living on campus will also participate in a meal plan.
- Housing and meal plan fees will be covered by Financial Aid and Bridge Program grant funds.
Students participating in the Bridge Program will be housed in Stagmaier Hall during the five week program. Stagmaier Hall is a shared Bedroom / Suite (4 persons, 2 bedrooms, 2 study rooms, 1 shared bathroom).
Do I have to live on campus?
Students who live on campus have a higher retention rate than those who reside off campus, make friends faster, learn about themselves and how to live with others, and become engaged with the university much faster. Living on campus is required during the program.
Students may live anywhere for the 2016-2017 school term.
How do I accept the invitation?
After receiving the invitation from the Office of Admissions, students will need to complete the:
- Email Lee-Pierce@utc.edu regarding interest in the program.
- FAFSA for 2015 - 2016
- FAFSA for 2016 - 2017
- Register online for July 28-29 Orientation
For further helpful information, consult the Bridge Program’s FAQ