About the scholarship
The ASPIRE scholarship is available to Appalachian high school seniors with financial need who plan to enroll in STEM Major fields at UTC. We will provide funding to 20 incoming students in Fall 2017 through the National Science Foundation (NSF) Scholarship in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Program. Eligible majors for the scholarship at UTC include Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Geology, Mathematics, and Physics.
Students selected for ASPIRE will receive up to $9,375 per year for up to four years! To be eligible, applicants must:
- Select a STEM Major (Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Environmental
Sciences, Geology, Mathematics, and Physics) at UTC;
- Reside in one of the 52 Appalachian countries in Tennessee (please see the details
on the flyer);
- Meet eligibility criteria for federal Pell grants;
- Qualify for the traditional “HOPE Scholarship"
- Achieve minimum 21 ACT (980 SAT) or and overall weighted minimum 3.0 GPA.
Students who receive the ASPIRE Scholarship will:
- Receive funds to help with travel to campus for orientation and several trips home
during a year
- Live and participate on our STEM ASPIRE Living and Learning Community (LLC) for at
least two years
- Be paired with a faculty mentor, LLC peer advisors, and mentors through the Appalachian
- Be eligible for funded summer internships after sophomore year.
If you have any questions regarding to the ASPIRE program, please feel free to contact: Dr. Yukie Kajita, the STEM ASPIRE Scholarship Project Manager, email@example.com. The application deadline is May 1, 2017; however, we will start to screen applications in the middle of March, so please consider early submission.
Please download the application form, and mail it with two essays to:
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
109 Race Hall
615 McCallie Avenue, Dept. 5305
Chattanooga, TN 37403
I look forward to receiving your application!