Step Ahead Math Class
Enrollment for 2014 has closed. We are no longer accepting applications.
What is the Step Ahead Math Class?
- a 9-day class to boost students to college algebra
- a combination of lecture, lab work and tutoring
- students will be tested at the end of the class to determine if they will be eligible to take college algebra or another math course
- college credit will NOT be earned in this class
Why should I take the class?
- to be able to take a math class that will apply to your college degree and advance to other math courses
Who is eligible?
- Only students who have submitted an online application for Step Ahead Math are eligible
(see "How do I apply?")
- new entering UTC freshmen who have ACT Math scores below 19
- entering freshmen with an ACT Math score of 19-21 and continuing students not currently eligible for Math 1130 may apply; eligible students will be placed on a waiting list until the application deadline, July 1, 2014
- the first 400 students who meet the criteria and submit a Step Ahead Math application
How do I know if I am eligible?
- ACT Math score below 19
- Eligible applicants will receive confirmation via email
Who will teach the class?
When is the class?
For Fall 2014:
- August 7-16, 2014
- 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.; exam Saturday, August 16, 2014
- No class Sunday, August 10, or Friday, August 15 so students can participate in Welcome Week and FYRE activities
What is the cost?
- The program fee is $75, including housing. Students are responsible for their own meals. (See below.)
- Eligible students will receive payment information with confirmation of eligibility
What do I need to bring to the class?
- Bring a pencil, a notebook, and a laptop computer, if you have one (not required). More detailed information will be sent to students accepted into the program on July 2, 2014.
When can I check in to the dorm?
- Thursday, August 7, 2014 - check in times TBA
- PLEASE NOTE: Students assigned temporary off-campus housing will not be able to move in early and must make their own arrangements for accommodations during Step Ahead Math
- Students who do not have a campus housing assignment must commute from home or make their own arrangements for a place to stay during Step Ahead Math
What about meals?
- Fall meal plans will be active starting Monday, August 11, 2014
- Limited options will be available on campus and at nearby restaurants - information will be provided prior to your arrival
- Campus points (cash amounts) may be added to your ID card via www.managemyid.com for food purchases prior to meal plan activation
- Food court will be open 11:00a-1:00p through August 13; 7:30a-8:00p, beginning August 14
- Crossroads will open Monday, August 11 7:00a-5:00p; normal hours begin Thursday, August 14, 7:00a-7:00p, weekends 11:00a-7:00p
What about parking?
- Fall parking permits are valid beginning Monday, August 18; tickets will not be issued August 6-17, 2014
How do I apply?
- Fill out the online form on this page.
- NEW application deadline is July 22, 2014, at 5:00 p.m. Students on the waiting list will be notified of their status by July 23, 2014.
Need more information? Contact:
- Office of the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs, Dr. Jocelyn Sanders, (423) 425-4515, or Jocelyn-Sanders@utc.edu