ARCS provides the leadership, support and assistance necessary to help UTC faculty, students and staff make effective and secure use of technology in their teaching and research.
ARCS provides support for:
- Communication: supports video conferencing, interactive white-boards, public ftp server, and video streaming.
- GIS: maintains the GIS servers and GIS lab, ensures the availability of current software and mapping data, and makes the GIS software available across campus.
- Security: Monitor changes in computing security, perform network and system security audits and help direct security policy development at UTC.
- Consulting: provides free short-term consultation with faculty and staff on all aspects of technology projects.
- Specialty computer lab: maintains a development laboratory with peripherals, specialty software, and resources for designing, developing, authoring, producing, and evaluating courseware and multimedia prototypes.
- Workshops: offers workshops an advanced and research level technology topics for faculty, students, and staff.
- Checkout equipment: maintains a small inventory of equipment that may be checked out by faculty for short term classroom and research use - projectors, presenters, cameras, video encoders.
Specific activities include:
Update/Patch management for Windows, Apple, Linux
Windows Update Server for campus automatic updates
Software FTP site and archive
Streaming video server
Server status monitoring and alerts
Remote access server
Security certificates for University servers
Internet II assistance
Network diagnostics and security monitoring for anomalies
Snort for intrusion detection
Security alerts to the UTC community
Virus alerts to the UTC community
Daily review of security bulletins and SANS/CERT advisories
Security response team investigates security problems
Routine security audits of UTC Network and servers
GIS licenses and data, operation and maintenance of servers
Blackboard CMS support
Web survey system for campuswide use
Juno academic Linux support
Technical assistance and advice
Investigate, test, evaluate, report on new operating systems and hardware
Test and evaluate updates and patches
Daily updates on security and technology issues
Log usage of servers and lab computers
UT "Statement of Policy on Patents, Copyrights and Other Intellectual Property", 2003
can be found here: http://utrf.tennessee.edu/tto/policy.html