The Southeast Center for Education in the Arts will conduct a spring Supporting the Whole Child with Music and Dance Workshop at the Hunter Museum of American Art on April 9 to kick off the Week of the Young Child. This 3-hour workshop will expand participants understanding of literacy through exploring visual art.
SCEA music and dance educators Susanne Burgess and Mary LaBianca will lead an exploration of the integration of movement and music within the preschool setting.
Early childhood educators, artists, and parents are invited to examine how and why dance and music can further the social, linguistic, cognitive, and creative abilities of children in the early childhood years.
Through modeled teaching strategies participants will experience:
• Active literacy instruction through creative movement and music making
• Elements of music and dance and their instructional value for early childhood students.
• Active listening as a fundamental strategy for dancing and singing, and strengthening overall
ccognitive and literacy skills
• Thematic and conceptual connections with dance and music aligned with the Creative Curriculum
• Somatic perspectives and systems of movement
• Inquiry-based and constructivist approaches to learning activities in the preK– 3rd classroom.
Registration is at 9:30 am. The workshop begins at 10:00 am.