2012 Summer High School Nursing Camp
July 9 - August 2, 2012
This summer program is a free four-week program designed to encourage rising juniors and seniors to consider careers in nursing. During the course of the week, students will learn about careers in nursing and participate in tours of various clinical facilities.
The program is designed to:
- Provide rising high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to learn more about life as a nurse and inspire them to consider a career in nursing
- Educate students about options available to assist with the cost of nursing education
- Address educational requirements for entry into nursing
- Address professional opportunities and career tracks available to nurses
Student must be Educationally and/or Economically Disadvantaged.
Educationally disadvantaged defined as Person from:
- high school with low average SAT/ACT scores or below the average State test results
- a school district where 50% or less of graduates go to college
- a rural high school
- a high school where at least 30% of enrolled students are eligible for free or reduced price lunches.
Economically disadvantaged is defined as:
Person who comes from a family with an annual income below a level based on low-income thresholds established by the current HHS Poverty Guidelines .
Rising juniors and seniors may be nominated by high school principals, guidance counselors, science teachers and other youth program and civic leaders. No more than 30 students will be selected to participate in the DREAMWork summer program.
Criteria for selection:
- Academic achievement—(maintained high scores in math and sciences)
- Recommendation from science teacher, guidance counselor, principal, or civic leader
- Student personal statement of interest in nursing
April 20 Application packet due
May 7 Selected participants will be notified
May 25 Students must indicate their intent to participate
June 21 Student/Parent Orientation
July 9 Program begins
August 2 Program ends
For a brochure containing the information above and a sample agenda for the camp, please click here.
For an application for the 2012 Summer High School Nursing Camp, please click here.