DREAMWork Nursing Diversity Program
In July of, 2007, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's School of Nursing secured a major grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). The grant award totaledl $912,028 for a three year period. The School of Nursing is excited to announce the grant has been refunded for another three years beginning July 2010.
The goal of the Nursing Workforce Diversity grant or DREAMWork, (Diversity Recruitment and Education to Advance Minorities in the nursing Workforce) is to increase nursing education opportunities for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, particularly racial and ethnic minorities that are underrepresented in the registered nursing workforce. Dr Kay Lindgren will continue to serve as the principle investigator and Dr. Martina Harris as project director of DREAMWork.
DREAMWork is currently accepting applications from pre-nursing students until September 10, 2012. Application information is online at http://www.utc.edu/Outreach/DREAMWorkNursingDiversityProgram/Forms.php. Applications may be turned into Metropolitan Building 224.
What is the purpose of the DREAMWork program?
- Increase awareness of nursing as a profession to middle and high school students enrolled in Hamilton County Schools.
- Increase nursing education opportunities for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, particularly racial and ethnic minorities that are underrepresented in the registered nursing workforce.
- Increase the number of minority students prepared to compete for admission in the BSN program at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
What type of support does the DREAMWork program offer?
- Informational and educational programs to expose students to nursing roles.
- Individualized planning, coaching, mentoring and tutoring throughout the academic year.
- Tutoring from expert science and math professionals.
- Intensive summer programs for transition to college, pre-nursing, and UTC School of Nursing students.
- Assistance with identifying other scholarship opportunities for UTC School of Nursing students.
What type of assistance does the DREAMWork program offer?
- During the academic year, $125 per month per academic semester for pre-nursing students and $150 per month per academic semester for nursing students.
- Four week summer intensive programs, $125 per week for Transition to College and Pre-Nursing students. For nursing students a flexible four week summer program, $150 per week.
How do I apply?
- To apply to participate in the DREAMWork Nursing Diversity Program, please complete the appropriate application and return completed application to the attention of DREAMWork Project Manager in the UTC School of Nursing, Dept. 1051, 615 McCallie Ave, Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598 or Fax to (423) 425-4668