THE SIMPLE PENDULUM
2. How do you measure the length of a simple pendulum?
3. Define period of a simple pendulum in words.
4. The period of a simple pendulum is related to its length and the acceleration of gravity in an equation. Write down that equation.
5. What is the amplitude of a simple pendulum?
6. What does the period of a simple pendulum depend on?
7. True or false
The period of a simple pendulum does not depend on the mass of the pendulum bob.
8. True or false
The period of a simple pendulum depends only on its length.
9. What assumptions must be made in order for the following equation for period of a simple pendulum to be valid?
10 The period of a simple pendulum is given by the following equation. Solve for g. Show work.
12. If it takes 23.45 s for a simple pendulum to execute 10 cycles, what is the period?
13. Give the units of the following quantities in cgs system: length, time, period, and g.
14. How do you find the percent error if the theoretical value of g is 9.80 m/s2 and the experimental value is 9.95 m/s2
2 continued.. P is the pivot point. L is the length of the pendulum. M is the mass. The angleTheta is the amplitude.
5. The maximum displacement from the equilibrium position.
6. It depends on the length and the acceleration of gravity.
12. 23.45 s/10 = 2.345 s
14. % error = ( [9.80 m/s2 - 9.95 m/s2 ] /9.80 m/s2
X 100% = 0.015 X 100 = 1.5 %