To comply with state law, "publications" are defined as any printed matter which is produced for general distribution either on or off campus.
Listed below are "publications" which must have a publication number.
- Catalogs—graduate, undergraduate, continuing eduction, etc.
- Applications—admissions, housing, financial aid, employment, ticket subscriptions, etc.
- Promotional materials—brochures, posters, calendars, pamphlets, fliers, event programs, etc.
- Solicitation materials—alumni, athletic, and development
- Seminar and workshop announcements—registration forms, brochures, etc.
- Treasurer's reports—and other financial documents provided to parties outside the institution.
- Newsletters—campus, college, departmental, or other divisions of the campus community (includes departmental newsletters with student editors)
- Handbooks—faculty, student, and others
- Directories—campus telephone, pictorial, student telephone, etc.
- Forms—purchase orders, purchasing request for bids, and placement
- Employee training and benefit materials—manuals, booklets, posters, etc.
- Research project reports—if printed for general distribution to other than University officials and the sponsoring agency.
Exempt from numbering
Certain printed materials which are intended solely for internal use may be excluded from the requirement that a publication number be affixed. Examples of such internal use publications are:
- Work processing forms for internal use—work orders, requisitions, transfer vouchers, voucher authorizations, vehicle requests, personnel action forms, and similar documents used solely for the internal processing of work.
- Research project reports—if printed for distribution solely to University officials and/or the sponsoring agency
- Research survey instruments
- Classroom testing instruments
- Instructional materials—workbooks, laboratory manuals, etc., even if sold on consignment at a UT bookstore.
- Personnel policy manuals
- Fiscal policy statements
- Grade reports
- Tickets—for cultural and athletic events (whether distributed internally or externally)
- Student publications—newspapers, yearbooks, rush manuals, individual student organization's material
- Meal tickets
- Traffic citations