Student Support Services/Project Focus
Peer Tutoring Program
The Peer Tutorial program provides additional assistance outside the classroom to participants who have difficulty grasping specific course skills.
The subjects for which assistance is offered are core courses typically taken by freshman and sophomores. Tutorials for upper level courses may be available upon request. The Peer Tutorial Program features the following:
- Tutoring is conducted at times convenient to participants, including weekends and evening hours.
- A broad range of materials and approaches allows for different learning styles.
- Participants’ progress is frequently monitored.
- Performance and attendance standards are high and strictly enforced.
- Strategies of reciprocal teaching and cooperative learning are woven throughout the activities of each course.
- A Master Schedule assures participants have a peer tutor for one or two hours per week per class.
- Tutoring is personalized since participants meet with the same peer tutor for every session.
- Learning environment is student-centered.