Campus Safety Committee
POLICY:Per OSHA standards and State of Tennessee law, it is the responsibility of the UT Chattanooga campus to establish a safety committee. The committee shall consist of:
- Representation from the faculty, exempt and non-exempt staff and student body.
- At least one representative from the UTC Department of Safety & Risk Management.
- Appointment to the safety committee shall be made by the Chancellor or his designee.
- The chair of the safety committee shall be appointed by the Chancellor or his designee.
- The committee shall meet at least semi-annually. The unapproved minutes of the meetings shall be reported as soon as possible to the Chancellor or his designee, with copies forwarded to the UWA Safety Office.
PROCEDURE:The committee shall review and advise the administration, including the chancellor, on matters relating to the safety and health of employees, faculty, students and visitors to the University.
Specific duties will include:
- Review of proposed or amended safety and health policies and procedures.
- Review of reports from the Safety Office relating to potential physical hazards and practices that might be a source of accidents, injuries or illnesses, and make recommendations for further actions as necessary.
- To review and make recommendations to the administration on goals and objectives for future actions by the campus Safety Office in the conduct of the safety and health program of the campus.
- To serve and assist the campus safety function in the:
- Dissemination of information, policies and procedures about safety and health, throughout the University community.
- Analyzing the courses, trends and occurrences of various types of accidents involving people and property and make recommendations for and needed actions.
- Assist or make recommendations for the coordination of all available campus resources for safety and health.
- Review the result of the annual safety and health audit and provide support and assistance where and when needed to achieve needed abatements or corrections.
- To serve as an additional conduit of information to and from the administration, staff and faculty on matters involving safety and health.
- To represent the needs of all members of the University community on matters involving their safety and health.
- The existing Radiation Safety Committee.
- Any existing safety/security committee.