Motor Vehicle Safety
POLICY:The University of Tennessee Transportation Services Policies and Procedures on the Use of University-owned Motor Vehicles and The University of Tennessee Fiscal Policy Statement (Statement 05, Section No. 090, Part No. 01, paragraph 3) reflect usage policy and procedure for all University owned motor vehicles. Per the University of Tennessee Policies on Safety and Health, this policy sets forth specific guidelines for the safe usage of UT vehicles on and operated out of the UT Chattanooga campus.
PROCEDURE:The UTC Department of Safety and Risk Management is responsible for:
The review of all accidents involving vehicles owned by the University or used on behalf of the University. Such review will not be necessary for accidents involving no more than $200.00 damage to the vehicle, no injury, and no third party involvement. This review will include the following:
- Fault determination or responsibility of the University driver.
- Determination of any violation of University policy regarding the authorized use of the vehicle.
- Recommendations for future action, if any, including driver training or restricted use of University owned vehicles.
- Ensure prompt reporting of accidents involving University owned and/or operated vehicles to the appropriate university departments.
- Specialized training requirements prior to authorized usage of University owned vehicles.
- Ensure the proper flow of information regarding automobile accidents for use by both Safety Officer and UTC Transportation Services Department.
- Assure that no persons other than University employees drive University owned vehicles. Volunteers, students (other than student employees) are not permitted to drive UT vehicles, nor are they covered under the University's State Liability insurance.
- Prompt reporting of accidents involving University owned and/or operated vehicles to the Department of Safety & Risk Management.
- Notifying the Department of Safety & Risk Management in the event of the acquisition of a motor vehicle requiring special training or licensing requirements.
- Maintain records of employees with restricted or revoked driving privileges.
- Ensuring prompt reporting of accidents involving University owned and/or operated vehicles to the Department of Safety & Risk Management.
- Prompt reporting of accidents involving University owned and/or operated vehicles to the Department of Safety & Risk Management as well as UTC Department of Transportation Services.
- Completion of UT Driver's Report of Automobile Accident in the event of a motor vehicle accident.
- Obtaining any related police reports in the event of a motor vehicle accident in a University owned or leased motor vehicle.
- In the event of bodily injury, reporting the accident as soon as possible to the UTC Department of Safety & Risk Management