What is an Active Shooter?
An active shooter is a person actively engaged in killing and wounding people in a populated building or area using a firearm as a weapon. The threat is not contained and there is an immediate risk of injury or death. An Active Shooter may be suicidal.
Mentality of an Active Shooter
- Desire is to kill and injure without concern for his safety or threat of capture
- Normally has intended victims and will seek them out
- Accepts targets of opportunity while looking for intended victims
- Will continue until stopped by law enforcement, suicide, or other violent intervention
How can I actively protect myself?
- Always be aware of your environment and any possible dangers
- Mentally rehearse how you would react in various types of emergency situations
- Be familiar with two exits whenever you enter a building or room
- Ask about building emergency action plans
- Program local and campus emergency numbers into your cell phone
- Participate in campus emergency notification systems
How to respond when an Active Shooter is in your vicinity
Active Shooter Response Video