High Winds or Tornado
In the event of high winds or tornado related weather conditions, the following safety procedures are
- Avoid upper floors and especially the top floor of a multi story building whenever possible. The upper floors receive the full force of the winds.
- Spaces in basement areas are better than locations on any other floor.
- Interior spaces - seek out spaces that form a part of a protected interior core, if possible.
- Avoid rooms with exterior walls, especially those facing south and west. Rooms facing north usually receive the least damage of all exterior rooms.
- A room that is completely interior protects against flying debris.
- Avoid interior partitions that contain glass.
- Avoid rooms containing windows.
- Avoid rooms with wide roofs that could collapse easily, such as the gym and auditoriums.
- If you are outside and you cannot get inside, crouch for protection beside a strong structure, or lie flat in a ditch or low-lying area and cover your head and neck with your arms or a piece of clothing.