3.5.3 Undergraduate program requirements
The institution defines and publishes requirements for its undergraduate programs, including its general education components. These requirements conform to commonly accepted standards and practices for degree programs.
Judgement of Compliance:
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) defines and publishes all requirements for undergraduate programs, including general education components, in the Undergraduate Catalog. Academic departments publish major requirements on their respective web pages and/or provide links to the relevant pages in the Undergraduate Catalog. Program check sheets are available online for all undergraduate degree programs since 2004. General Education requirements are also available on the General Education Committee webpage and through the Office of Records web page.
These requirements conform to commonly accepted standards and practices for degree programs. Proof of this conformity can be found in state and national accreditations and licensures granted to UTC programs.
- There are fifteen programs at UTC that have earned separate accreditation.
- All Tennessee public institutions of higher education are required to conduct an intensive review of each non-accreditable academic program every five years as a part of the Tennessee Performance Funding initiative. Accredited academic programs are exempt from this requirement only because they are mandated to undergo rigorous review by their accrediting agencies. The Department of Foreign Languages was one of five (5) departments that completed a program review in 2009-2010.
The program review process is coordinated by the Office of Planning, Evaluation, and Institutional Research (OPEIR). Using data provided by that office, program faculty conduct a comprehensive self study of their program during the fall semester. One or two peer evaluators from similar universities outside the state of Tennessee are engaged by the university to review the self-study and conduct a two-day visit to the campus to interview students, faculty, administrators, alumni, and others. These reviewers validate the self-study, gather additional information relative to program quality, and evaluate each program with regard to outcomes, curriculum, teaching-learning environment, faculty, and program support.
- General Education articulation agreements exist with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) universities. For example, UTC has an agreement with Chattanooga State Community College (formerly Chattanooga State Technical Community College) governing the transfer of general education course credit. In 2009, the College of Business collaborated with peers from other UT and TBR campuses to develop a pre-major curriculum to facilitate the transfer of business students among all Tennessee public institutions. This process is continuing with as many as thirty-four other disciplines in 2010.
- State licensures are earned through the following programs:
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
- School Leadership
- Counseling (Community and School)
- School Psychology
- Undergraduate Catalog, Degree and Graduation Requirements
- Program check sheets
- General Education webpage
- General Education requirements, Office of Records web page
- Accredited programs
- Program Review Overview
- Performance Funding Cycle, 2005-2010
- Program Review Results, 2009-2010
- OPEIR web page, Program Review
- Undergraduate Program Review Self-Study Guidelines
- Chattanooga State Community College Articulation Agreement
- UT/TBR Business Articulation Agreement
- Programs leading to State licensure