|Course||Grade Value||(Multiply)||Credit Hours Atempted||(Equals)||Grade Points|
Divide 32 (Quality Points Column) by 16 (Credit Hours Attempted Column) to determine GPA: 32/16 = 2.00 GPA.
Grade Point Average Definitions
- Institutional Semester: includes the most recent UTC and/or transfer work added to a student’s academic record (excludes developmental course work).
- Institutional Cumulative: includes all UTC and transfer work—cumulative meaning more than one semester (excludes developmental course work).
- Transfer Semester: Includes the most recent transfer work added to a student’s academic record.
- Transfer Cumulative: Includes all transfer work only—cumulative meaning more than one semester.
- Overall Semester: Includes the most recent UTC, transfer, and developmental course work added to a student’s academic record.
- Overall Cumulative: Includes all UTC, transfer, and developmental course work—cumulative meaning more than one semester.
- UTC Only Semester: Includes the most recent UTC course work completed by the student.
- UTC Only Cumulative: Includes all UTC course work—cumulative meaning more than one semester.
Continuation standards are based upon Institutional GPA for all students.
Courses Included and Excluded in GPA and Degree Requirements
The University assigns institutional credit to all developmental courses in reading (EDUC 105), mathematics (MATH 105, 106), study skills (USTU 100), study skills lab (PSY 100, SOC 199), and writing (ENGL 105, 106). Some students must complete these courses in addition to the degree requirements.
Institutional credit does not apply to the hours required for graduation, major requirements, general education requirements, or electives. Institutional credit is not included in the calculation of grade point averages for graduation or honors. The University calculates overall semester and overall cumulative grade point averages that includes developmental studies for financial aid purposes.
Freshman students who are required or who volunteer to enroll in developmental studies courses should successfully complete the required courses within the first 42 attempted hours counting both institutional and regular credit. Transfer students should complete required developmental courses within 30 attempted hours following initial enrollment at UTC.
To exit the developmental studies program, students must have a grade of C or above in each required developmental studies courses.
Students will be in good standing if they maintain a minimum institutional cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all attempted hours, excluding developmental courses.
Students on probation who do not enroll for one or more semesters and return with no transfer work are readmitted on probation.
Students on probation who do not enroll for one or more semesters and return with transfer work will have the transfer work evaluated and the appropriate standing based upon institutional GPA will be applied.
Students on suspension who do not enroll for one or more semesters and return with no transfer work will be admitted on probation.
Students who return after their period of suspension with transfer work must earn at least a 2.0 transfer GPA on all hours attempted in order to be eligible for automatic readmission to UTC. Students who are denied admission because the GPA on transfer work does not meet the required 2.0 transfer GPA must apply for readmission through the Admissions Committee. If readmitted, students will be on probation regardless of the institutional cumulative GPA.
Students who were dismissed and return with or without transfer work must appeal for readmission through the Admissions Committee. Students who receive approval for readmission will be admitted on probation.
The University classifies a student as on academic probation when the institutional cumulative GPA is less than 2.0. A student on academic probation may enroll in courses for the subsequent semester. If the student's institutional cumulative GPA for the subsequent semester is 2.0 or better, the student is reclassified as in good standing. If the student's institutional cumulative GPA remains below 2.0, but the student earns at least a 2.0 institutional semester GPA, the probation status will be extended for another semester. If the student does not earn a 2.0 institutional semester GPA their status is changed to academic suspension. If the student has been previously suspended they will be dismissed.