Thank you for choosing to apply to The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. The required application materials are listed below with the required forms here. We look forward to assisting you in the application process and wish you the best in pursuing your academic career.
Office of International Student Services
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
206 Racer Hall, 648 Oak Street
Chattanooga, TN 37403
What do you need to be admitted to UTC?
- Vist www.utc.edu and click on APPLY TODAY to complete the online application.
- Undergraduate: $30.00 and graduate: $35.00 non-refundable application fee. Payment should be made in United States dollars by a cashier’s check, money order, or personal check. If payment is by personal check, the check must be drawn on United States currency. International money orders are suggested. Applications must be submitted with this fee attached. If the fee is not included, the application will not be processed.
- TOEFL [Test of English as a Foreign Language] scores must be officially reported by the Educational Testing Service. Students who have received a degree from an accredited U.S. institution within the past two years are not required to submit a TOEFL score. IELTS is now accepted for graduate applicants.
- Documentation of financial resources sufficient for nine months of study will be required prior to issuance of I-20. There are no loans available to international students. An affidavit of support signed by sponsor and/or parents, if applicable, is required.
- If currently studying in the U.S., submit a copy of current I-20, I-94, visa, passport, and international adviser release form.
6. All applicants: clear copy of current passport.
Additional requirements for:
- Undergraduate or transfer students:
- A minimum TOEFL score of 500 (173 computer/61 internet) is required.
- Grade sheets for 9th through 12th grades and diploma. Official transcripts from each college attended. Summary of education experiences.
- ACT or SAT for athlete applicants.
- Graduate students:
- A minimum TOEFL score of 550 (213 computer/79 internet) is required. IELTS score of 6.0 or higher.
- Official transcripts from each college attended. Official degree certificate for institutions from India. Summary of education experiences.
- Accident and Sickness Insurance Requirement:
Health insurance purchased through UTC is required of all international students who enroll at UTC. The cost for 2011-2012, is approximately $993.00 per academic year and includes basic health coverage, evacuation, and repatriation. Other policies are not accepted. Enrollment and further information is provided during orientation.
- Immigration Documents:
Students meeting all admission requirements of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and wishing to enter or remain in the United States on an F-1 student visa will be mailed a Certificate of Eligibility [Form I-20]. This form is used to obtain a visa from a United States Consulate when a student is outside the U.S. Students who are transferring from within the U.S. will receive their I-20 upon arrival at UTC and reporting to the International Student Services Office.
- Money Matters:
Before admission can be completed, an applicant must document sufficient funds for the first two semesters of enrollment. The amount required is stated on the Cost Estimate form and is subject to change without notice.
NOTE: The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga cannot assume financial responsibility for international students.
The estimate amount listed on the Cost Estimate form seems to be adequate for most international students; however, these figures will vary according to the studentís living accommodations and individual money management.
International students are not eligible for federal financial aid or guaranteed student loan programs. There are, however, opportunities for employment on campus. Projected on-campus employment is not accepted as proof of initial funds.
Immigration permits a twelve-month, after graduation work experience for international students who maintain status. Work is restricted to the field of study and the application for this work experience is processed through The International Student Services Office.
- Student Health Services Requirement:
The state of Tennessee requires that all students born after 1956 provide the university documentation of immunization with two (2) live measles vaccinations after age 12 months, unless inadvisable due to pregnancy, allergy to vaccine, or other valid medical reason. A verification of immunization, signed by a health care provider, should be returned to Student Health Service upon arrival at UTC.
- The ISS Office does not arrange housing for students. Please visit the housing web site for further information. http://housing.utc.edu
- Admission Calendar:
The following recommended deadlines are critical for the success of your application. Please pay close attention to the following:
For spring entry, deadline for submission of application with $30.00 undergraduate and $35.00 graduate. fee is Oct.1. Deadline for file completion and admission is Oct. 31.
For fall entry, deadline for submission of application with $30.00 undergraduate and $35.00 graduate. fee is June 1. Deadline for file completion and admission is June 30.
- English Language Requirement:
The language of instruction at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is English, except in cases of advanced foreign language classes. Each applicant whose native language is not English is required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language [TOEFL] and to have the results sent directly to The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. The score must be no more than two years old. Applicants who have received a degree from a U.S. institution in the past two years are exempt from the TOEFL requirement. Information on testing sites and dates can be obtained from:
Eastern Time Zone