GENERAL EDUCATION COMPETENCIES & ASSESSMENT
Mindful of the need to create an organized process for reviewing UTC's General Education curriculum, and thereby consider in an orderly fashion changes and modifications that might be necessary and desirable, the General Education Committee has been working with various campus constituencies over the past several years to develop a formal program for general education assessment.
During the 2008-09 academic year, several of the recommendations arising out these discussions will be launched on a trial basis. While the committee hopes to gather useful data from these activities, it also views the year's assessment activities as a way to obtain additional feedback on assessment overall, while also having a chance to test and refine the various elements of the assessment program.
Copies of the principal documents that have emerged from the planning process may be obtained via the links listed below (additional documents will be posted as they are available).
- Excerpts from the SACS review guidelines concerning general education assessment.
- Statement of UTC General Education Competencies (overall and category).
- Recommendations for a UTC General Education Assessment Program (as modified and endorsed by the Provost's Office).
- Course-based assessment: guidelines and assessment rubrics.
- List of courses and sections participating in course-based assessment, 2008-09.
- Membership of scoring teams for course-based assessment, 2008-09.