Step Ahead Math Class
What is the Step Ahead Math Class?
- a 2-week class to boost students to college algebra
- a combination of lecture, lab work and tutoring
- students will be tested at the end of the class to determine if they will be eligible to take college algebra or a more advanced math course
- college credit will NOT be earned in this class
Why should I take the class?
- to be able to take a math class that will apply to your college degree and advance to other math courses
Who is eligible?
- Only students who have submitted an online application are eligible
- new entering UTC freshmen who have ACT Math scores below 19
- entering freshmen with an ACT Math score of 19-21 and continuing students not currently eligible for Math 1130 may apply after June 23, 2013
- class limited to 400 students
How do I know if I am eligible?
- ACT score below 19
Who will teach the class?
When is the class?
For Fall 2013:
- July 15-26, 2013 (Monday-Friday)
- 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday-Friday, both weeks
What is the cost?
- There is no cost for the short course. However, students who stay in a residence hall will be charged a $50 cleaning fee. Information about these charges will be sent by the Housing Office.
When can I check in to the dorm?
- Sunday, July 14, 2013 - check in 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
What about meals?
- Fall meal plans will not be available
- Limited options will be available on campus and at nearby restaurants - information will be provided prior to your arrival
How do I apply?
- Fill out the online form.
Need more information? Contact:
- Office of the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs, Dr. Jocelyn Sanders, (423) 425-4515, or Jocelyn-Sanders@utc.edu