Steps to Finding a Major
What Can I Do with This Major?
Major Questions to Consider
You may find it helpful to schedule an appointment to meet with a faculty member to discuss some of these questions.
- What general education courses are required for this major?
- Are there any introductory elective courses or general education courses I could take to explore the class?
- Review the upper level (3000-4000 level) courses required to take. Do any of them sound interesting?
- How many credit hours are required for this major? If I started this major next term, what is an estimated timeline for when I could graduate? [Note: some programs (art, engineering, some science education majors, etc) are fixed 4 year programs. This may extend your time to graduation]
- Are there any progression requirements or prerequisites to enter this major? (i.e. required GPA, completion of specific courses, competitive admissions process , etc).
- Do any campus activities or student organizations relate to this major?
- Does this major require or is it desirable to have a graduate degree in this area?
- What are the research areas of faculty in the department?
- What careers are students entering after they graduate?
- What does it take for a student to be successful in this major?