Steps to Finding a Major
What Can I Do with This Major?
Exploring Your Academic History
Part of the self-reflection process you should engage in when choosing a major includes a review of your past performance. If you have been in college for a year or more, you can review your transcript or your CAPP sheet. For students who only have one semester or less complete, you should review your high school transcript also. Questions to consider while reviewing your past academic performance:
- How many many college credits have I earned?
- In which classes did I earn my best grades? Why?
- In which classes did I earn my lowest grades? Why?
- Which classes or subjects do I enjoy the most? Why?
- What subjects appear to be my strongest areas?
- Do I have any academic weaknesses?
- Are there any discrepancies between majors I am considering and my grades in those related subjects? If so, how would I explain this to someone (professor, employer, advisor)?