Program Application Information
The Social Work Program has a formal application process which students must complete prior to registering for any 3000 level SOCW courses. Students are considered pre-social work majors prior to being formally accepted into the program. The process is as follows:
- Students must apply to UTC and be accepted in good standing; thus they must have a valid UTCID number.
- Complete the Application to the UTC Social Work Program available on the program website
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.00 or higher on a 4.0 point scale
- Have a social work major Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher on a 4.0 point scale in SOCW courses
- Earned a grade of “C” or better in the following pre-social work courses: SOCW 1100 or an equivalent introductory social work course and SOCW 2070 or an equivalent Interviewing Skills course.
- Completed the following cognate courses with a passing grade: PSY 1010 (Introduction to Psychology), SOC 1510 (Introduction to Sociology), BIOL 1110 (Principles of Biology I), ANTH 2080 or ECON 1010. NOTE: The following course must be completed prior to the senior year -- POLS 1010 (American Government)
- Complete a criminal background check process
- Participate in a group interview process with other applicants to the program, members of the professional advisory board, and UTC Social Work Program faculty.
After the interview, students are notified in writing of their acceptance status in the Social Work Program. There are two levels of acceptance:
- Full Acceptance: student has met the above minimum requirements and is accepted into the Social Work Program in good standing
- Conditional Acceptance: the student has not met at least one of the admission requirements stated above and is accepted into the program on conditional status. The student and faculty then develop a plan of correction addressing the unmet areas and the student has the semester immediately following the admission interview to address the unmet admission requirement(s). If, at the end of the semester, the admission requirements are not satisfied, the student must completely reapply to the Social Work Program.
CONTINUATION STANDARDS FOR SOCIAL WORK MAJORS:
The nature of the social work profession requires the following program continuation standards:
- Achieve a grade of “C” or higher in all SOCW courses
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.00
- Maintain a social work major Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher on a 4.0 point scale in all foundation SOCW courses
Students who fail any 3000 or 4000 level SOCW course may repeat the failed course(s) as stated in the University 2010-2011 Catalog. See statement below.
“Provided prerequisites are met, students may replace a total of three grades of C or lower. The first five grades in one or more subjects may be replaced; the total number of replaced grades cannot exceed five. Developmental studies courses (institutional credit) will be included in the grade replacement limit, but grades of S, NC, and W will not count in the allotted number of replacement grades.”