Ed.S. School Leadership: Principal Licensure
The School of Education of the College of Health, Education, and Professional Studies offers an Ed.S. in School Leadership that leads to licensure as a principal in Tennessee. Coursework and field experiences are aligned with Tennessee Instructional Leadership Standards and synthesized in the final practicum and capstone courses. Although the field experience requirement is extensive, it is expected that students will complete the program and the 450 hour field experience requirement while employed as a teacher. The program is in compliance with the 2009 “Tennessee Learning Centered Leadership Policy” and the successful program finisher will meet all requirements for a principal/supervisor endorsement in the state of Tennessee. Approval in Georgia is pending.
- Successful completion of a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution is required prior to admission.
- A teaching certificate and three successful years teaching experience are required by the State for admission to principal licensure programs.
- The program can be completed in as few as 6 semesters and requires 36 graduate credits. Students typically progress through the program as a cohort, with new cohorts beginning every August. Admission will be considered for fall, spring, or summer terms, however, some courses are only offered once a year.
- Courses are fully aligned with the TN Instructional Leadership Standards (2009).
- Most courses are delivered in a ‘hybrid’ format, meaning some face to face and some on-line instruction.
- A field experience requirement of approximately 450 hours is required and is completed over the duration of the program
Required courses are listed below.
EDS 6050: Reflective Leadership (3cr)
EDS 6100: Program Evaluation (3cr)
EDAS 5630: School Law (3cr)
EDAS 5710: Leadership for School Improvement (3cr)
EDAS 5730: School Culture and Climate (3cr)
EDAS 5740: Curriculum Leadership (3cr)
EDAS 5750: Instructional Leadership and Assessment (3cr)
EDAS 5760: Development of Human Capital in Schools (3cr)
EDAS 5770: Management of the School (3cr)
EDAS 5810: Ethics, Advocacy and Advanced Law (3cr)
EDAS 5820: Practicum in School Leadership (3cr)
EDS 6900: Capstone Project (3cr)
A passing score on the State exam (SLLA) is required as a condition of program completion.