The Physics and Astronomy program offers the following awards:
The Department of Physics, Geology, and Astronomy at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga offers monetary support for successful majors in its programs. Physics Scholarship Award ($800.00 per year for freshman and sophomore students and $1000 per year for juniors and seniors) to all successful majors in Physics whose application for scholarship is selected by the Physics faculty.
October 1 for spring semester.
March 1 for fall semester.
In addition scholarships below are given to students after successful nomination by a faculty member.
- Physics Tuition Scholarship Award (about $400 per semester) to three area school students who declare a major in physics and who are nominated by area school teachers.
- The Harold Marlowe Scholarship Award ($700.00 per year) for a successful physics major whose nomination is supported by the department head.
- The Harry Deuberry-Physics Scholarship to a rising Junior or senior up to 700.00 per year.
- The Harriet and Karel Hujer Award (variable amount) for physics majors interested in Astronomy, Physics, and Mathematics.
- The Jane and Lawerence Akers Scholarship Fund.
- The Clarence Jones Prize SC ($700 per year).
Summer Research Grants may be offered to successful students when funds are available:
Summer Physics Research Guidelines:
Students who wish to do summer physics research should provide a written request signed by the supervising professor.
The report will specify:
- What research will be done
- How the research it is going to be done
- What is to be achieved at the end of the research
- When the research will be achieved
- What funding will be required
- How the result will of the research will be disseminated
The supervising professor’s signature will indicate the submission of the project.
The approval of the project will be indicated by the signature of the department head.
Deadline for summer research grants is March 1
The Geology program offers the following awards:
- Lebron B. Carver Memorial Scholarship - awarded to worthy students majoring in Geology at UTC.
- Hoover-Nofsinger Scholarship - awarded to deserving students in the UTC Geology program.