Eligibility Requirements - Applicants must have the following to apply:
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.2/4.0 ; 3.4/4.0 for early decision candidates
- Minimum science grade point average of 3.2/4.0 ; 3.4/4.0 for early decision candidates. Nine of the twelve prerequisite courses are used to calculate the science GPA. These nine courses are:
- Biology I & II (or a second, higher-level biology course- 8 semester hours)
- Chemistry I & II (8 semester hours)
- Physics I & II (8 semester hours)
- Human Anatomy, Human Physiology (8 semester hours)
- Exercise Physiology (3 semester hours)
These courses should be appropriate for majors in that discipline.
- Completed six of the nine science prerequisites listed above. (Grades/ credit must be reflected on transcripts sent to PTCAS)
- Competitive GRE General Test Scores no more than five years old. The three sections required are verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing. Be sure to use the UTC PTCAS Code 0464. A minimum 3.0 analytical writing score is required for regular decision applicants. There is no minimum verbal and quantitative score required for regular decision applicants, but the score is weighed heavily as part of the admissions process. Early decision requires a minimum score of 300 and a 3.5 analytical writing score. You are permitted to take the GRE multiple times.
- Two PTCAS references, including one from a licensed physical therapist.
- PT observation hours. See Application Instructions for details.
- Essential Functions- Physical therapy students must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodations, each of these essential functions in order to fully participate in our program (including clinical experiences) and successfully complete the requirements for a doctorate degree in physical therapy. Applicants are asked to certify that they are able to complete each of these essential functions as a PT student with or without reasonable accommodations as part of the PTCAS application.
Our program accepts 30 students per academic year. Applicants are very competitive and have excelled in their undergraduate and prerequisite coursework. GRE scores along with science and cumulative GPAs are the primary factors used to determine admission- our program does not interview candidates. Our required minimum cumulative and science GPA is 3.2. However, the combined average GPAs for the classes of 2014 -2016 were a 3.83 cumulative GPA and a 3.80 science GPA. There is no minimum verbal and quantitative combined GRE score required for regular decision applicants, (early decision requires a 300) but the combined average score for the classes of 2014-2016 was 313. Beginning fall 2014 we will require a minimum 3.0 analytical writing score for regular decision applicants and a 3.5 for early decision applicants.
Students should call 423-425-1786 or 423-425-4747 with questions regarding appropriate pre-requisite courses or the application process.
Admission Contingencies - Applicants must achieve the following for program admission:
- Earn a bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution prior to beginning the professional program. Degree completion is not required to apply.
- Maintain a minimum of 3.2/4.0 cumulative and science GPA.
- Provide evidence of completing all twelve program prerequisites with a minimum grade of "C" prior to entering the professional program.
- Manually update fall course grades and In Progress courses in PTCAS. Provide a copy of all updated transcripts to PTCAS by the Academic Update deadline. Instructions for PTCAS Academic Update can be found on the PTCAS web site.
- Submit updated transcripts for fall and spring courses to the UTC Graduate School by June 1 and also in August, if taking summer courses.
- One course (1-3 hours) in Medical Terminology is strongly recommended. Accepted applicants who have not completed medical terminology will be required to pass a test during the first week of classes. Students who are unsuccessful on the exam must take an on-line medical terminology class during the first year of the professional program.
Suggested Undergraduate Majors
- HHP: Exercise Science (click here to go to the Exercise Science: Pre-Professional page with course check sheets and a course outline planner)
The bachelor's degree may be in any discipline. Current or incoming UTC undergraduate students should contact their undergraduate major department for advisement. UTC undergraduate students will be invited via e-mail by the DPT program once a semester for an information session.
Use this link to find course equivalents. Please note that ALL science courses must be appropriate for majors in that discipline. While a course may transfer as an equivalent for the purposes of an undergraduate degree, undergraduate science courses that are designated as courses for non-majors are not accepted as prerequisites for entry into the DPT program. Please contact the department with questions regarding the appropriateness of courses if you have questions. You may also contact the department for equivalency information for specific schools.