Applicants to the Master of Science in Nursing program must meet the general UTC Graduate School requirements of graduation from a regionally accredited college or university with at least a 2.5 GPA. An application to the University may be downloaded from the UTC Graduate School website. In addition, the following admission requirements must be met for the Nurse Anesthesia and Family Nurse Practitioner concentrations:
- A baccalaureate degree with a major in nursing from a National League for Nursing or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education accredited program.
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all undergraduate nursing courses, including completion of three semester hours in elementary statistics and physical assessment.
- Current licensure as a registered nurse in Tennessee or eligibility for Tennessee licensure.
- At least one year's experience in direct patient care prior to entry into the family nurse practice concentration. One year of critical care experience is required for admission to the nurse anesthesia concentration.
- Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) taken within the last five years with percentile of 50 or above for intended major . Contact the UTC Testing Center for information on taking the GRE or MAT at 425-4288.
- A written document prepared by the applicant which includes a resume, a discussion of prior professional experience, future career goals, and reasons for pursuing graduate study.
- Three recommendations -- at least two (2) must be from former employers, faculty members, or deans. The completed recommendation form must be enclosed in a sealed envelope with the employers, faculty member or Dean's signature across the seal (see sealed reference envelope example included in this packet). Recommendation forms are to be mailed with your application packet to the Graduate School.
Questions? Contact Us!
Dr. Chris Smith