Admission to the School of Nursing for Students Not Admitted as Freshman, Transfer and Second Degree Students
There are several ways to be admitted to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program:
1. As a freshman student entering UTC
2. As a RN with an Associate Degree in Nursing (Gateway track)
3. As a transfer or pre-nursing student after pre-requisite coursework is completed. Below is the information on how to be admitted if you were not admitted as a freshman to the nursing major or as a transfer or second degree student...
The BSN application for traditional and freshman admission is online in the UTC MocsNet account. Please click on the links below for instructions on accessing the BSN application andinstructrions for completing the reflective essay.
|Instructions for accessing the BSN Application|
Students not admitted directly into the Nursing major as a freshman have an opportunity to apply for an open position in the upper-division nursing courses once they have completed the nursing pre-requisite coursework. Students desiring admission or readmission to the nursing major must complete the BSN Application online through their MocsNet account. Students may access their MocsNet account once they are admitted to UTC. Candidates for the nursing major must make formal application by April 1 to begin the nursing program in the fall. Students transferring from other nursing programs should also submit the nursing application by April 1 for the fall class. Enrollment is limited and the number of qualified applicants often exceeds the number of students who can be admitted.
The following are considered when evaluating candidates for admission:
1. Apply to UTC prior to the School of Nursing application deadline.
2. Completion of credit hours required for sophomore classification including the following prerequisite courses with no grade lower than a C:
Biology 1910, 2080, 2100
English 1021, 1020
Only two of the pre-requisite courses listed above may be in progress at the time of application.
3. A minimum grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 point scale at UTC.
4. Minimum Science GPA of 2.50. The nursing major includes a strong biophysical science component; thus the first grade earned in a required science course will be used to compute the student’s science GPA.
5. Interview a BSN or higher Registered Nurse and answer the reflective essay questions.
6. Physical and emotional characteristics appropriate for nursing practice as stated in the Core Performance Standards in the School of Nursing.
Acceptance of transfer and substitute credits in nursing to meet requirements of the curriculum will be determined by the school. A student who transfers into the nursing program at UTC will be required to repeat any nursing or other required courses which are not considered comparable to the UTC curriculum or in which the grade earned is lower than a C. Transfer students must meet the same standards as other students in the program.
Candidates will receive written notification of their admission status by email. Candidates who are accepted for admission must complete a background check and drug screening before being fully admitted. Individuals who are not accepted for a given class, and who desire to be considered for the next class must reapply.
Admission to the Nursing major is limited. Admission to the University does not guarantee acceptance to the nursing major. The faculty in the School of Nursing reserve the right to make exceptions to the admission requirements.
Email April Anderson or phone (423) 425-4670