SUMMARY VITA – Virgil Atlee Thomason, Ph.D., P.E.
Years on Faculty: 31 (original appointment
BSEE Case Institute of Electrical 1960
MS The University of Electrical 1971
PhD The University of Electrical 1977
Other Related Experience:
1972 to Present: Professor of Engineering (Assistant 1974, Associate 1977, Professor 1985)
Teaching: Engineering - Digital Signal Processing, Stochastic Processes, Design with Microprocessors, Logic Design and Instrumentation, Computer Program Design, Sampled Data and Nonlinear Digital Control Systems, Computer Interfacing, Circuits, Solid State Devices.
1960 - 1972: Training Director (Field Engineer 1960, Senior Engineer 1964, Director 1965)
Western Union Telegraph Company,
Responsible to the General Office for planning and direction of the nation-wide technical services training program. Responsible for assisting Research and Development in design and checkout of systems and equipment.
1. Instrumental in development and implementation of highly successful national training programs.
2. Provided on-site technical assistance in design and startup of state-of-the-art data communications systems.
3. Coordinated the management of the system installation and startup for the one of the first ever private computer-centered communication systems - Weyerhauser Corporation.
4. Participated in the startup of first government AUTODIN circuits.
5. Participated in startup of the
Principal Publications of Last Five Years:
1. “Relationship between Morality, Ethics and Leadership” P. S. Chopra, Todd Humphrey, V. A. Thomason, Proceedings of the 2003 ASEE Southeastern Section Conference, Macon, Georgia, April, 2003.
2. “Can Ethics be Divorced from the Teaching and Practice of Management?” P. S. Chopra, V. A. Thomason, Proceedings of the 2002 ASEE Southeastern Section Conference, Gainesville, Florida, April, 2002.
3. “BrookMaster: A Software Teaching Game with a Purposeful Action Framework,” V. A. Thomason, P. S. Chopra, Proceedings of the 2001 ASEE Southeastern Section Conference, Charleston, South Carolina, April, 2001.
4. “Purposeful Action: A Synergy of Management with Ethics”, P. S. Chopra, V. A. Thomason, Proceedings of the 2001 ASEE Southeastern Section Conference, Charleston, South Carolina, April, 2001
5. "Senior Engineering Design: Web-Based Management and Communications ," V. A. Thomason, P. S. Chopra, Proceedings of the 2000 ASEE Southeastern Section Conference, Raleigh, North Carolina, April, 2000.
6. "Senior Engineering Design: Grading by
Objectives." V. A. Thomason, P. S. Chopra, 6. Proceedings of the 1999 ASEE Southeastern
7. “Twelve Steps of Purposeful Action for Senior Engineering Design,” V. A. Thomason, P. S. Chopra, Proceedings of the 1998 ASEE Southeastern Section Conference, Orlando, Florida, April 1998
Scientific and Professional Society Memberships:
Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
American Society of Engineering Education
Honors and Awards:
Eta Kappa Nu
Pi Mu Epsilon
Phi Kappa Phi
Order of the Engineer
Alden E. Stilson Scholarship Award