Our 12-week program is offered three times a year. Our schedule is Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (one hour for lunch). Classes meet for 20 hours each week and are taught by instructors who have Master's degrees in English or a related field.
******contact the ESL Director, Jane-Womack@utc.edu for information pertaining to short term offerings*******
Five levels of English proficiency are available. You will be tested to determine your level of English proficiency. Classes are offered in many areas: pronunciation, vocabulary, idioms, conversation, grammar, reading comprehension, TOEFL preparation, and listening/speaking. A listening lab is available.
We have fun field trips to such places as Dollywood, Rock City, and the Biltmore Estate. Local field trips provide additional opportunity to practise English skills. All field trips are mandatory.
Student Expenses (one twelve-week term)
F-1 mandatory health insurance is approximately $365.00 per term
Aproximate cost of living expenses--$3,000.00
Total amount for one, twelve-week term)--$5,915.00
On campus housing reservations-- Housing website.
The mission of the ESL Institute is to serve international students by developing their English proficiency and by assisting them in their transition to American culture. Within a supportive environment, the ESL Institute respects and promotes the individual needs and goals of each student, whether their goals include learning English for personal, business, or academic reasons.
To enroll send the following information:
- Official diploma (with English translation) from your high school or university
- A official bank statement showing at least the amount for at least one ten-week term (bank statements may not be copies or downloaded from the internet)
- A deposit of $100 USD. This money will be applied to tuition and is not refundable
- A completed application form with all required signatures and information.
- A clear copy of your passport
- If currently in the US and attending a US school, advisor form must be submtted
- Please complete the online application.
Completion of ESL Institute
There are two distinctions of completion in the ESL Institute:
1) Completion of a 12-week session: At the end of each 12-week session, all students are given a certificate verifying that they have attended classes and completed assignments for that 12-week session only. Specifically, the following information is given to students in their Syllabus at the beginning of the session:
Certificate of Achievement: Attendance and completion of all assignments are required in order for you to receive a Certificate of Achievement at the end of the 12-week course. Depending on your grades, completion of work, and attendance, your certificate will be printed with one of the following:
NAME has successfully completed the English program (with gold seal)
NAME has successfully completed the English program (no seal)
NAME has completed the English program (no seal)
NAME has attended the English program (no seal)
NAME was enrolled in the English program (no seal)
2) Completion of the program: The ESL program has five levels of study. Students may repeat level five only if they have not yet made the TOEFL score required by the University for the academic program for which they are applying: 500 for undergraduate studies and 550 for graduate studies. Once the required TOEFL score is attained, students are no longer eligible for study in the ESL Institute at UTChattanooga.