What is distance learning?
UTC’s distance education programs are designed to provide high quality courses and services in a flexible learning environment. We recognize that many quality students wish to earn a B.S. degree, but have other obligations that prohibit them from moving to Chattanooga to earn a degree.
Courses in the online program have been modified specifically for web-based delivery. All course materials and requirements of the degree program are identical to the face–to-face program offered on-site at UTC. The material is simply delivered in a different format. Courses are taught by full-time faculty members who teach the same courses face-to-face at UTC. Students experience on-line courses with the same quality and rigor expected in a face–to-face course.
The UTC Continuing Education department also provides support to distance students and can help with admission, advisement, registration, and other services. In addition, the UTC Online page has a great deal of information that is helpful for students.
What Students Can Expect From the Online Program
You can expect that the following will be reflected in every online course in the program:
- Highly interactive - Each course design will require that instructors and students post frequent messages to each other (student-instructor, student-student, etc.) in the course space as part of the learning experience. Responses to posted questions will be answered in a prompt and helpful manner.
- Friendly and positive - Every course space will be positive and supportive. Instructors and students will respond to each other in ways that reflect good “netiquette” and respect for each other as learners and individuals.
- Quick links to information on the Web – Every course will make maximum use of content-related information and resources that are readily available on the Internet or in course spaces.
- A variety of experiences and assessments – Assignments will be designed to hold student interest. Several different kinds of assessments will be present to give students several ways to show growth and achievement.
- Clear, easy to follow directions and expectations – Students will know what is required for engagement and assessment from the beginning of the course. Requirements will not change mid-course.
- High academic quality – As with UTC’s traditional courses, all online courses will maintain the highest academic standards and rigor, including the use of up-to-date concepts and information.
- Ready access to grades – Every online course will have a grade book area that the instructor will update throughout the course so students can see how they are progressing.
- Resources to support learning – Every student will have ready access to technical, instructional, and other kinds of support to help them throughout the courses. For example, the Computer Helpdesk and UTC’s Online Writing Center will be available to all online students.