There are a few things to keep in mind when working toward your graduate business degree.
You must maintain a 3.0 GPA on all courses taken for graduate credit or you will be put on academic probation and are in danger of being dismissed from the graduate program.
Program of Study
Each degree seeking graduate student must complete and file a Program of Study (form GS #101) by the end of the first semester of enrollment in graduate coursework. All information requested must be provided before the POS will be accepted and approved by the Graduate School. The Program of Study form can be found at http://www.utc.edu/Administration/GraduateSchool/CurrentStudentForms.php.
All core courses in the degree program must be listed on the Program of Study. Elective courses may be listed on the Program of Study at that time if known but this is not required. Elective courses will be listed on the Application for Admission Candidacy (see below) when the student applies for graduation or prior to applying for graduation. Students must list on the Program of Study form (where courses are listed) whether a comprehensive exam is required or not, i.e., comprehensive exam required or comprehensive exam not required.
The courses listed on the Program of Study must be thoughtfully considered, as they dictate the academic courses necessary for partial fulfillment of the degree requirements. Students in conjunction with their advisors must pay special attention to include those courses required by the degree program.
Admission to Candidacy
Admission to a graduate degree program allows the student to demonstrate ability but does not guarantee the right to continue toward a degree unless he or she is admitted to candidacy.
You must apply for admission to candidacy at least one semester before your anticipated graduation by submitting a Candidacy/Graduation application to your advisor who will sign and forward the form to the UTC Graduate School for processing and approval.
- You can find the submission deadlines for upcoming semesters posted on the calendar on the UTC Graduate School web site.
- Wait to submit the form until you have registered for your final electives, because you will be asked to list the four graduate electives you have taken, are taking, or have registered for.
- Complete the candidacy/graduation application available under "Forms" on the UTC Graduate School web site. Include only your four electives and any other class not listed on your program of study.
- Submit the application with your original signature to UTC's Business Graduate Programs Office (Fletcher 215, Fax # 423-425-2329)
- No credits earned with grades below C will be accepted for graduate degree requirements.
- However, grades of D and F are computed into the graduate grade point average.
- When courses are repeated, all grades are included in computing the graduate grade point average.
- No grade below a B will be accepted for transfer credit.
Three or More Grades of C Lead to Dismissal.
Students who earn 3 or more grades of C or below in graduate level courses will be dismissed from the MBA or MAcc programs.
The time limit for fulfilling the requirements for a master’s degree is six years. All courses included on the Program of Study must be current at the time of completion of the degree. An extension of time form, available on the Graduate School Web site, can be used to request a one‐time, one‐year extension. The request must be signed by the major professor/adviser and the dean of the college and submitted to the Office of the Graduate School for final approval.