Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- Do I need to have a college degree, or have taken some college courses, to attend?
No. The VEP is designed to take any qualified students, regardless of prior educational experiences, through the steps and stages of starting a new business.
- Are there spaces still available for this year’s program?
Yes. We have 20 seats available in the VEP program for 2013. These seats are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Early application is encouraged.
- Are members of the National Guard and Reserves eligible for the program?
Yes. The only qualifications to be eligible for the program are a service-connected disability and/or an honorable discharge, along with the desire to start your own business.
- You require two letters of recommendation: why? And who should these letters come from?
Starting a business is hard. The VEP program was developed and designed as an intense, rigorous program positioned to help those individuals with a drive, determination, and passion for business ownership take the first steps toward that goal. As such, we are seeking applicants who have demonstrated such drive and determination in their approach to life and work. Letters of recommendation from current or former co-workers, commanders, supervisors, counselors, etc., help us make such an assessment. Letters of recommendation from family members are discouraged.
- Your program information states that all costs will be assumed by the VEP Host School. Does this include travel and lodging while attending the program?
Yes. It is our position that through your service, you have already earned the price of admission. We have assumed the responsibility to raise the necessary funds to cover all costs associated with the Program. Travel expenses (airfare NOT included), lodging, meals, and the cost of the program itself will be funded by the VEP program.
- How will I get around Chattanooga for the VEP events?
Transportation will be provided throughout the VEP residency for our delegates.
- I have special dietary requirements. Can these be accommodated?
Yes, we will make every effort to accommodate these requests.
- Will there be medical services available?
We plan to staff the program with certified nurses to assist our disabled veterans with any medical needs while participating in the program. Additionally, the University is located next to a world-class hospital facility in case of emergency.