Students may request an exception to registration limits, course evaluation, specific course requirements, residency requirements or an extension of an assigned Incomplete by filling out a petition. There are two types of petition forms: 1) General Education petitions and 2) Undergraduate Student petitions. Forms and their instructions are available online at www.utc.edu/records-registration.
Once a petition is filed with the Records Office, it will be reviewed and a response will be issued via UTC student email. Petitions that are approved will be documented with an asterisks and relevant note on student RAP sheets. Petitions that are denied may be appealed to the Chancellor for further consideration.
Substitution of Courses
Students transferring to UTC, will receive credit for coursework attempted at other regionally accredited institutions. Students who believe that their transfer coursework was misclassification should process a General Education or Undergraduate Student petition as soon as possible.
General Education Petition: This petition provides students the opportunity to receive credit towards a specific General Education requirement for two types of courses:
1) courses taken at other institutions that appear to meet UTC’s General Education standards but do not have an exact equivalency to UTC General Education courses; or
2) in exceptional circumstances, courses taken at UTC that are not yet certified for General Education credit.
General Education Requirements include:
- Rhetoric & Composition I & II
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Natural Sciences
- Humanities & Fine Arts
- Cultures & Civilizations
- Behavioral& Social Sciences
Undergraduate Student Petition: This petition provide students the opportunity to request:
- Permission to take excess hours for a semester - Excess hours for the fall or spring are 21 or more hours. For summer, excess hours would be 8 or more hours per session; 11 or more hours for overlapping sessions; or 21 or more hours for all sessions combined.
- To substitute once course for another course - Substitute courses are courses that cover very similar information to a required course; fulfill similar requirements for another program; or replace courses that are no longer offered.
- To waive a course - Waives a course requirement based on prior course work or experience. No credit is accrued if a course requirement is waived.
- Request for an exception to the "Last 24 Hour Residency Requirement" - Credits transferred to UTC during the final 24 hours before graduation.
- Request for an exception to the "60/64 Hour Residency Requirement" - Students under the 1999 or newer catalog who will not have at least 60 hours from a four-year institution; or students under the 1997 or 1998 catalogs who will fulfill the final 64 hours at UTC.
- For an extension of an "Incomplete" - Extends the deadline for when a final grade should be submitted to Records for an Incomplete.
Updated on May 31, 2007